Sometimes getting your child to eat a healthy diet can be challenging. Every meal can seem like a battle when they’ve exhibited picky eating habits. We all know it’s essential to ensure our child eats healthy, but what can we do when they seem determined not to cooperate? Establishing a diverse diet in our children does more than ensure they’re healthy; it also instills a positive relationship with trying new things and having new culinary experiences. Here at Advanced Pediatrics of Rockland, we work with parents of picky eaters to find ways to help their children enjoy a range of food and eat healthily.
Methods of Encouraging Diverse Eating Habits In Children
Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for children to display picky eating habits. However, if it isn’t addressed quickly, it can become a health concern down the road. The restrictions their pickiness can place on their diet have multiple consequences. A diversity of food is important for getting proper nutrients. If you suspect your child may be exhibiting signs of being a picky eater, look for the following signs:
- A preference for foods of particular colors or textures
- Poor reactions when introduced to new foods
- Avoiding consumption of entire food groups (meat, vegetables, dairy, etc.)
- Displaying low appetite or eating very slowly and reluctantly
- Strong sensitivity to taste, smell, or textures of some foods.
If you are concerned about your child’s nutrition due to these behaviors, see the experts at Advanced Pediatrics of Rockland. We can introduce you to various strategies for helping overcome picky eating in your child.
Some strategies that we’ve found to be successful include the following:
- Provide Multiple Options – When serving a child their favorite foods, provide some new foods with them. The presence of these familiar foods can be comforting and encourage them to try new things.
- Make Meals Pleasant – Every meal doesn’t have to be a circus, but make sure that the time spent at the table is pleasant. Mealtime should be a positive experience for everyone at the table.
- Get Your Child Involved – You can instill a sense of excitement and wonder about food by involving them in the food preparation process. Explain to them what you’re doing, and maybe even allow them to decide on certain ingredients or seasonings.
- Don’t Overdo It – Take baby steps when getting your child to try new things. Give them new foods in smaller amounts that aren’t as intimidating to get through.
You Can Break The Picky Eating Habit In Your Child
It’s important to break these habits early, as the eating habits we develop as children persist into adulthood. Throughout our lives, it’s important to be willing to try new things and be open to new food experiences. It can help us discover new favorites, experience new cultures, and be gracious guests when being served at the homes of others. Call us at (845) 364-9800 to get started with helping your child overcome their picky eating habit. We’ll schedule you an appointment at our offices in Pomona, NY, and help your child rediscover the joy of a varied diet.